If you are a creative person with a passion for technology, perhaps you should take look at web design as a career if you are confused with which career would suit you the best! In recent times, web design has become a popular career due to strong demand for web designers in the market. So what do you need to become a web designer? Let’s take a look at what you need to do to become a web designer.
Steps to becoming a web designer:
- When it comes to web design, you will be surprised that there are so many options available for you to pursue! You can be a designer who is a master of both HTML and CSS or you can also be someone who isn’t. Different designers have got different roles to play when it comes to web design. If you are a designer who is working in a team and you want to effectively communicate with the web developers, it is best that you know HTML and CSS and this helps to avoid misunderstandings. This type of designer mostly works as “Back-end designer”. Knowing HTML and CSS languages will help you to understand the technical feasibility of the design. Those who prefer working with a web template, they don’t need to know to code and will be able to build the whole site from scratch by using it. You can also customize the layout to get your desired result.
- You will need to learn the basics of web design, which will help to form a strong foundation in the future when you are working as a web designer. As a beginner, you can easily find a wide range of tutorials and guides on web design, aimed at the beginners. There are also wide ranges of courses that you can consider taking at your own pace. Or, you can also take courses or certificate on web design at any two or four-year college. Although a qualification in web design will make it easy for you in the job market, ultimately your demand depends on your skills as a web designer.
- You need to know the various types of tools used by web designers. If you want to be in demand, you should learn to use the latest tools for web design. To learn about any tools, you can take a look at the free tutorials online. Some important tools that you must know are Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator as these are used widely in the industry.
- There are also various tools that you need for coding when learning web design. Some of them are Github, Sketch, Pattern Lab, and Vivaldi browser. Other great code editors are Textmate, sublime, brackets, and atom.
- You should also learn how to write for websites, along with SEO and marketing. This will help to increase your demand in the industry.
- You will need to create a strong portfolio to showcase your skills to the prospective clients. Make sure to showcase your strongest and recent works.