Having an eye for design is a must for any web designer. But, a web designer should also know the other aspects of design that will help to enhance and make the design more effective. One important thing that any web designer should know about is directional or visual cues. They are of great importance when it comes to creating an effective design. Let’s take a look at what a web designer should know about visual cues.
A look at visual cues:
- It takes less than a minute for any website visitor to decide whether to stay and browse the website further or leave. This is why the first impression is important for any website, which is mainly related to the design of the website. This is where visual cues help a website to build its first impression when a visitor visits the website. It helps the visitor to interact with the website pages, and it is quite easy to enhance the page performance if it is used properly.
- You may think that following any new trends that come up in the market is one of the best ways to enhance the design, but this is not always true. The design usability will help to determine the usefulness of the design. You don’t need to attend an art institute to understand design usability. You can find amazing books and resources online to help you to understand it without much hassle.
- There are various types of website elements that you can easily use as visual cues when designing the website, such as Buttons for the call to action, lines, curves, and pointers etc.
- There are various design patterns that are standardized, and you can take full advantage of these. It is important to opt for clarity instead of something difficult that may be difficult for visitors to understand.
- It is important to create a visual hierarchy when designing any web page. A visual hierarchy helps a visitor to the website to understand the relationship between the elements in the page, and it also helps the visitors to understand which element to check out first, and the subsequent ones to proceed to.
- When designing web pages, it is important to define spaces clearly, which will help the website visitors to check out information relevant to them. This saves a lot of time for the visitors and they will be more interested in checking out the website further.
- When you are using visual cues for design, it helps the visitor to easily understand where to click next, which fulfils the purpose of the website.
- Navigation is important for any website as it helps the website visitors to know where to go next to find the relevant information. Visual cues help to make navigation clear and easy for the visitors.
- Another visual cue that you can use for website design is by using anchor links and progress indicators. This helps the website visitors to check out long contents with ease.